Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local printing from citrix session

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonalds

MIS
Jan 9, 2004
US

I understand that printing locally from a remote session is possible with Remote Desktop and Terminal Services. I am however not sure if this is possible with Citrix. Could some please verify and how is that accomplished?

Thanks,
Jeremy

"I understand that printing locally from a remote session is possible with Remote Desktop and Terminal Services. I am however not sure if this is possible with Citrix. Could some please verify and how is that accomplished?"

I'm not sure what you mean...printing to the printer local to your citrix server? or printing to the printer at your remote location?

either one is possible, you just have to select the printer from the "printers and faxes" menu. if it's installed on the LAN at your server location then you just need to make sure it's shared, installed on the server, and you have permissions to use it.

if you're trying to use the printer on your remote computer, just make sure the drivers are mapped and maybe that you've selected to auto-create you DEFAULT PRINTER ONLY. the event viewer will tell you anything about the auto-creation process (good or bad) each time you sign on and your printer gets auto-created.

if you don't set it to default only, every printer on every client that connects will be auto-created. although this isn't that bad, it WILL give you a long list or printers to choose from. I had to sort through a list of 50-60 duplicate printers because my office's users had all of our LAN's printers installed.

hope that helps.

Citrix works in much the same way as TS. You just need to configure the ICA connections to map the client printer and make sure that there is a compatible driver on the system.

You just need to configure the ICA connections"

I am having a similar problem here. For some reason my local printers are not being autocreated on some of my remote offices using local printers, even though auto-creation is enabled on the console.

Can some one please explain the settings I need to check on the ICA connections?

Regards!

You need to make sure the printer driver name on the client is either the same as on the server or is associated with a driver installed on the server. Check the event viewer - Application log on the MetaFrame server for a source of MetaFrameEvents.

You don't say what platform your clients are on. We've now moved to print server based printing but when we had used client based printing, we had lots of problems.

The fix was to capture all network queues to LPT ports or to use TCPIP based printing only. It only takes one locally defined printer to fail, to stop the creation of all other local printers. Strip out old printers and try the above.

Crys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back