Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Printer not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunGuy

MIS
Sep 15, 1999
US
We had a machine crash that printed to a local printer as well as network printers. We switched the machine with another identical one and did a fresh install of NT up to SP4. Setup up the local and network printers on it and they all worked. I then upgraded Internet Explorer from 4.0 to 5.01, and then the local printer did not work anymore. Instead, stuff sent to LPT1 (supposedly) printed out on a network printer. I uninstalled the 5.01 update and went back to the previous configuration, but this did not help. Everything looks good both on the printer setup and in the registry. Any ideas why stuff sent to LPT1 is being sent instead to the network?

What printer are you using ?<br>
Have you checked your login script ?<br>
(for net use lpt1: commands ?)<br>
Just make sure that LPT1 is not connected to a network printer.<br>
Maybe you should just delete the printer and reinstall it.<br>
If that doesn't work either, you could always put an extra LPT port in your machine and print to LPT2 instead...<br>

I AGREE WITH PETERVE, ALSO, IS THE LOCAL PRINTER CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO PC OR DO YOU USE A LINK BOX OF SOME SORT.&nbsp;&nbsp;IF YOU'RE USING A LINKUP BOX OF SOME SORT, SOMETIMES BY DISCONNECTING ALL CONNECTIONS AND SHUTTING DOWN BOTH THE PRINTER/PC AND REBOOTING AND RECONNECTING ALL CONNECTIONS SOMETIMES A CONNECTION IS MADE BETWEEN BOTH LOCAL AND NETWORK PRINTERS (PROBLEM SOLVED)ALSO, CHECK DEVICE MANAGER AND VERIFY THERE ARE NO CONFLICTS ANYWHERE. <p> SHERRY MCKEOWN<br><a href=mailto:NAPHIRA@AOL.COM>NAPHIRA@AOL.COM</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back