Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local printer not working while VPN connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have a VPN user who has a local printer connected to their machine.

When ever they print to it, the printer just queues the print jobs and it won't print them until the user disconnect from the VPN.

Is there a way round this and if so , what do I need to do.

Thanks,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

Would you please clarify "local printer connected to their machine"? How is it attached? By USB, parallel, or by network cable?

My initial guess is that there is some form of resource conflict where once they are connected to the VPN, the printer routing attempts to go over the VPN to a non existent resource. Hence the print job queues up. When the vpn is disconnected, then the resource is (re)located and the printing process completes.

Is there perchance a resource somewhere on the VPN network with the same designation that could be causing conflict?

Hi,

Aha, I think you are onto something, I was given the impression it was a USB printer connected direct , but it isn't.

It is connected via WiFi to his home router as a newtork printer, and I'm guessing his internal network ip range on the router is the same as ours and so it's looking for the resource on our network and not finding it!

He can't give me access to his machine till later this week for me to confirm this, but it's starting to make sense!

Thanks NoWay!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

If the network ranges are not the same, look at the split tunneling configuration for the VPN connection. Also the client may have a check box for "allow access to local LAN". The VPN could be tunneling all traffic through the VPN and not allowing local LAN access.

If the client computer is a windows box, a "route print" at a command line might shed some light on the problem.

I have had this problem myself in the past.

The VPN could be tunneling all traffic through the VPN and not allowing local LAN access
This is certainly true if they then use internet explorer, all traffic seems to go through our internet connection.

I spoke with MS at a seminar regarding this and it is a known problem with Windows 2003 and VPN, aparently it's all fixed in Server 2010, but that's little help to me now.

I'll have to look into this split tunneling when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back