Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local policy does not permit you to log on??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquinn0908

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
US
I have a W2K client who when trying to log onto the domain receives the following message: "can not log on because computer's account in the primary domain is missing or password is incorrect". On the server I see the computers name but when you try to access it the message appears that the trust relationship failed. I know the password is correct so I tried to log onto the local computer as the administrator so I could rejoin the domain and I get the message that the local policy does not allow you to log on interactively. The only way I can access the machine is to unplug the network cable and have it log on with cached information. I checked the local security policy on the machine and there is no one in the deny log on locally policy and the adminstrator is in the allow log on local policy. How can I fix this problem so I can log on locally and change the domain?

I've seen this before in our enviroment, it's usually because the NETBIOS name has changed itself to something different to that of the PC name.

Create yourself a local admin account, remove the machine from it's current domain membership, ensure that the NetBios name reflects the PC name and then rejoin the machine to your domain.

Hope that helps.

Zulu :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back