Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Policies on 2000 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

wij

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2002
GB
Hello.

I work at a school and we run two networks. A curriculum and an an Administration.

The curriculum has a Windows NT4 domain controller. We are upgrading to Windows 2000 pro on the client machines. We are using a mixture of server based policies to hide drives and such. We are also using local policies on each machine to control thngs like proxy server information and homepage. This works fine on the NT4 domain.

Our problem arrises on the 2000 domain. We have tried the same thing but the local policies do not apply. It seems to be something that the 2000 server is overiding the local policies as when I log in locally the proxy server info isn't there.

I assume that there is something really stupid that I am missing. Can anybody help please?

Wij.

Hi,
you can use the Loopback Grouppolicy. You find it under Computer->Administrative->System->Grouppolicy->Loopback policy . You have two options replace and merge. With replace only the local policy applies, with merge the domain and local policy applies, but the local policy overrides the domain policy by conflicts. This works only in a pure Win2000 environment!!!
If you are using NT4 User-Accounts than you can add a registry key, so that the computer looks only at the local policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back