Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local network copy of sql database

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektipsfm

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2007
GB
Hi all, I hope you can help me with this problem, please bear with me as I am not an SQL person but an IT manager for a department where we use SQL 2000

Here is my setup, we are a 24/7 business and we have a remote data center where we host our sql database, now the problem I have begun to have is that every now and then we loose our connection to the datacenter (ISP issues or network issues) so I would like to have a local copy of the database here in the office so if the datacenter is unavailable i can redirect the users to the local copy. The database is about 40GB in size. What is the best way to achive the above. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thank you

There are a few different ways you could accomplish this. It depends on your requirements. Do you want the local copy to always be available. When you your DC is down do you want to be able to update the data on your local copy then sync the data back with the primary server? Here are a few options.
1. Set up log shipping. Log shipping would copy the TLOG at a specified interval and apply it to your local copy. You won't be able to update this local copy until log shipping is stopped.
OR
2. SQL Server replication. you could use Transaction or Merge replication. With both of these options you could change data in the source database.

With either option the hard part will be getting any changes you make to your local copy back to the primary after the DC is available again.

If you search msn for Log Shipping or replication you can get alot more information.

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back