Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local logons for hundreds of users??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aed

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
GB
I run networks in a school, just moving to win2k , we have the server, just starting with some workstations and am totally floored by required local user accounts. With 100 staff using 40 odd computers all round the place how do I cope with the local user account requirement. I suppose we could set them all up on each machine but what happens next year when I have to give 1500 kids accounts on 250 machines?
There must be a way round this?? what is the guest account ?

Get that server running! Use Active Directory to maintain users & passwords.

If you enable the guest account, then people will be able to log in using any user/password combination and it will let them. If you have any interest in security this should not be an option. Marc Creviere

I don't get it. You have a Windows 2000 server and 40 workstations. About 100 users need to logon. Is that server a Domain Controller? If so, just create your users in Active Directory and they should be able to logon to your server from any PC without the need for local accounts.
If it's not a DC, than what is it?
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back