Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychonaut2000

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
Recently installed Win2003 Server and made it a Domain Controller. When I turn the machine on and it boots to the login screen my Domain shows up under the "Log on to:" field but the local machine does not show up. How can I login locally?

Another question. Can I add this machine to another Domain as well? Can it be a Domain Controller for one Domain and simply a member of another Domain??

Thx in advance...

Once your server is a domain controller or added to a AD, all local accounts are whipped out and deleted and it takes its info from the directory catalogue server.

And as to your second question, the answer is no. You could probably set up a trust relationship between the first and second domain, or some other workaround, but one AD domain membership per machine.
-Steve

Whel you can be a mumber of an other AD domain if you configure your AD domain as a child domain to an existing AD

The first question answer is, you are logged on to the local machine. If it has not been configured otherwise you are logged on as Administrator for that machine as well as the domain.

The answer to the second question is yes, it is done with Trees and Forest. You can create a Forest and add a second second domain as another Tree. Your machine will control one Tree and across the office or across the world another Tree can be another Domain. Go to Help lookup forest and trees for complete instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back