Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Intranet Zones - need help understanding this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2008
US
Hello all,

We currently have an entry in our Local Intranet Zone as follows: *.corp.net

My question is does this really need to be in the Local Intranet Zone?

From what I understand sites in this zone should not have any dots. If they have dots then they are read as "internet sites" and the security zone from the "internet site" are applied to these sites.

Besides this site *.corp.net is already defined in the "internet sites" zone.

So can I just leave the "local Intranet Zone" blank?
p.s. We do have the 3 check boxes marked, found right before you click on advanced to add sites to the zone.

Please help explain this, thx.

Someone has added that entry to force anything with that extension to be considered Intranet. If it is in fact an intranet site; then you should remove it from your internet zone.

I agree. I don't see why something with a dot shouldn't be in the Local Intranet zone. We use it all the time to define specific security settings for applications in the local environment. No issues there.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

hmmm, *scatching head, okay thanks for the input. I guess it was my understanding that the only stuff in the LIZ should be url type stuff or things without dots...and if there were anything with dots then they would be treated as if they were in the internet zone.

Maybe that was for older version of IE.

Thanks for the input though guys - I'll have to test it and read up a little more then. But you guys set my in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back