Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOCAL HOST setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROFESSORSPARKIE

Instructor
Oct 24, 2002
US
I WANT TO SET UP A LOCAL WINDOWS CGI TEST ENVIRONMENT.
I have read a few different articles on it but can't get the details all tied together. I fave a Win/XP Home edition

Example: What dameon/server program do I start.
How di tell my browser where the local folders are
I need the standard in/out pipes to work for
processing.
How d I set up default system values for my perl
programs to test.

I don't want a complex test environment but I recently went into a perl error loop and brought down my online server by filling up a 2gig error file. I don't have a true virtual environment just a sub host environment. Needless to say the system network web master was madmadmadmad at me as I killed all of the other users. I have never done this before but had better not do it again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

Apache has a windows installation. You will put your folders into apache's cgi-bin or htdocs. I think apache comes preset up to associate with perl if you already have it installed. Your website will just be
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

I also recommend Apache. I have it running on my 2 Windows home computers for testing perl scripts and anything else I want to run on localhost http.

Once you install it, in Apache's conf folder you'll find http.conf. Open this file an change [tt]AddHandler cgi-script .cgi[/tt] to [tt]AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl[/tt] or whatever extension you use for your perl scripts.

You can also set Apache to use your current development folder as the http root directory, which may be more convenient than moving everything to Apache's htdocs directory.

To accomplish that, find this line in httpd.conf [tt]DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"[/tt] or whatever directory it may be, and change it to your a directory that can be used to access your work. 20 lines down or so is a [tt]<Directory "...">[/tt] directive which should be changed to the same as [tt]DocumentRoot[/tt].

Of course you'll have to be sure that all of your perl modules match your production server and you should be good to go!

To eWISH

Never heard it but will look it over.

But at a fee-per-use I may not be able to use it with students as I want something they can set up on their home development system.

Professorsparkie

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

xampp is free, donations are purely voluntary.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

TO: KEVINADC,

THANKS.

PROFESSORSPARKIE

I down loaded XAMPP and tried to install it and got a message about the platform not being supported. I downloaded the Windows version and I have Windows/XP Home.

???????? what did I do wrong?

To eWish,

Thanks for the feedback but I do not have XP/Pro, just Home. Maybe that is the problem.

I have service pack 2 just like I do at work. I tried installing Apachie straight there and it installed and so far seems to find Localhost with a confirmation message that all is working.

That was this afternoon and I haven't tried an application yet.

I have been reading & I need to point a few apachie variables to my cgi-bin folders and I need to find out (where & how) to tell apachie where perl & mysql are.

I have a lot to leard. I wanted a click and run solution.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. For me is was a click and run type situation. I don't recall seeing anything that specified XP Pro in lieu of XP home.

make sure you downloaded the windows XP version if there is one. If there is not a XP specific version I don't know what the problem might be. I have never used XAMPP.

To Kevin ADC

I downloaded xampp-win32-devel-1.6.5.exe. I think ir was the version I needed.

try one of the other versions

devel is the developers release, still shouldn't be an issue.

word of warning though XAMPP will run out of the box (Eventually ...), though it's not considered the most secure Apache environment

select the basic package, and then select the Perl package, shouldn't have any troubles on XP Home

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back