Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Drive Access through Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlp50

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2003
GB
Am unsuccessfully trying to allow users who are accessing a Windows 2000 Server running terminal services to see their local A: or C: to share information.

So far I have tried the following and it hasn't worked:
- Sharing the local drive using admin rights and then logging in to TS session

- Installing the following files from the resource kit drmapsrv.exe and drmapclt.dll on the server and the drmapsrv.exe and drmapsrv.reg on the client machines.

Am now out of ideas, if anyone knows how to achieve this - your help would be much appreciated:)

Do you use a logon script? Does it setup mapping for that user? If so, are all the letters used?

On that user, in the active directory, there is a tab called Environment. On that screen, make sure that there is a check mark in Conncect Client Drives at Logon. If that is checked, it will use an empty mapping and insert a line that says something like C$ on Client. If there aren't any empty map letters, it won't work.

This question could be solved with answers to the following:

1. Are you talking about the terminal services for Win2K?

2. Is the server in the same domain as the clients?

If the server is in the same domain, the previous post will work, but if the server is a stand-alone, or in another domain, you will not be able to map anything until the server is upgraded to Win 2003 Server.

~~~~~~~~~~~
LisaWo (IS/IT--Manageme) Dec 1, 2003
On that user, in the active directory, there is a tab called Environment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't know about 2003, but the one on W2K is for Citrix client.

Thanks for your tips folks!

Unfortunately they didn't work:

- yes, we use logon scripts
- yes, there are some spare drive letters
- yes, the environment option was already ticked
- yes, it is W2K server and W2K professional
- yes, they are on the same domain - am using laptops which are in the same domain when we use them on site, when off site, they dial in through the VPN to the same domain as the server.

And what makes it worse, is they used to connect, then they were locked away for some months, service packed and now the next time I tested them, they could not access their local drives:-(

Jlp50

Did you try what I suggested in your other post on this topic?

Jem

Are they member of Local admin?
Maybe you can try this:
Share the drive (don't use admin share)
In logon script use: net use x: "\\ClientIPAddress\sharename"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back