Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Administrator password generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sc0tt99

MIS
Feb 7, 2003
US
I'm looking for a good password generator that creates passwords based on text you input into the generator. I want to have every PC in the company have a different local Administrator password to increase security, but a random password generator will not work. I'd like to find a utility that uses some algorithm to create a password based on the serial number of the PC, for example. This way, each PC has a different password that is not easily cracked by the average user, but can be reproduced by IT staff if necessary.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,
Sc0tt99

You could try an md5 checksum?

look for an md5sum.exe (one comes with cygwin)

Then use the serial number, plus a secret password that help desk staff know.

md5sum password1234567890
is
53fe99e9c93fdd5fc14e296375b85b43

There is still the fundamental problem of passwords being based on an algorithm. If someone figures out how you are creating the passwords, all your systems will be open to them. It's only slightly more secure than using the same password on all PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back