Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Administrator account was deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

zvsports

MIS
Apr 3, 2003
US
I have a customer who has deleted their local admin account on Windows 2000. Whoever set her system up, placed her account in the power users group. Her computer is part of a workgroup and there are no accounts in the local administrators group.

Does anyone have an idea on how she can elevate her account to the administrators group or generate a local administrator account?

Suggestions are most appreciated.

I dont believe you can delete the administrator account.

So while her ID is deleted from the group, if you can find out the Administrator password you should be able to get in and recreate.

The Administrator account appears in the group but not in the users folder. I tried a product called Locksmith that was able to see the Administrator account and gave me the ability to assign a password to the account. However, I am not able to logon with the account.

Probably won't work - but you could try accessing the machine over the network using mmc (from Administrator account on that machine) - load the Local Users and Groups snap-in for the problem computer, and see if it will let you add user to local administrators group (possibly set Administrator password on machine you're running from to match what you think it should be on problem machine).

Other than that - what about booting from 2k install CD, selecting new install and then when it finds installation and offers repair (R) option - take it (should leave data/settings intact). Ideally, you should have an install CD at same service pack level as installation (you know you can 'slipstream' services packs into install CDs now) - but can always re-apply service pack later.

I will try the repair option. I did not think of that. What will happen when the repair option is selected? Will the administrator account be restored to it's original settings?

Thanks for everyones suggestions and help.

Remember there's also that linux boot disk that will reset the SAM. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

I think this type of repair will prompt you for password for Administrator account (been awhile since I did one), like normal install does, so hopefully it will recreate the account.

I have win 2000 and lost the administrator password. I could not add or uninstall any software. I changed it to boot from the cd-rom and reinstall/repaired the system. Worked great, it will ask you for a new Admin password.

Good Luck

Thanks for all of the helpful tips. I will probably get over to her office this week and will post the outcome.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back