Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LoadVariables from file in cgi-bin directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrCrazyDog

Programmer
Nov 26, 2000
US
I have a flash file that loads a simple number from a text file. it works on my server and off my server if the file it is loading the variables from comes from it's same directory, or one above it. but what i want to do is have my flash file in my standard web folder on the server and my text file in the server's /cgi-bin folder. I tried using both /cgi-bin/myfile.txt and /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/myfile.txt.

can i do this or does it not work in the cgi-bin directory? am i doing something wrong? thanks for your help.

Heya :)
First of all, you should use the direct path to the file:

Secondly, you should make sure the file is in the correct mode. CHMOD it to 755 if it isn't already.

Third, if you have a CGI script that denies access to the CGI-BIN on your server, you'll have to find some way to revise it so that you can read that one file in there. Just out of curiosity, why does the file need to be in the CGI-BIN? Just wondering :)

JuiCe

thanks for your reply, no, it didn't have to be in CGI-BIN. i just would have liked it there for an easy file path from my cgi script. but it tried that stuff and it didn't work so i just moved it into my main directory( htdocs ) and now it works fine. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back