Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loads of 219 errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calz

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
FR
We run Netbackup enterprise 5.1 on solaris with a 6 drive tape library. At the start of the backup window we get loads of 219 storgae unit unavailable messages even though the drives are all up.

I think what's happening is the schedule starts netbackup sends loads of jobs to the library, eventually the drives are all in use the reports no drives available. The backups eventually run and are successful but it really messes up the backup report which lists loads of 219s.

It even does it for a few backups that have multiple directorties listed, It's almost like it's trying to backup 20 directories in one job all at once...

Under storage units the correct number of drives are specified etc so what gives?

Of course this should not happen the jobs should just go into the queue and sit and wait for a drive. One thing we have had a problem with in the past is the 'wakeup interval' in the global settings. If it's too short then the system does not have time to check all the jobs before starting again. We had some strange errors untill we set it to 9 minutes.

your drives aren't in AVR mode are they? My site just upgraded to 5.1 and we all sorts of issues with our AIX master server talking to our robitic libraries.

Are your drives in a library? How are they connected? SCSI/Fiber? If they are SCSI connected, do a "fuser /dev/ovpass0 or /dev/ovpass1" and see if there is a PID hung up on the robot.

Similar here we upgraded from 3.4 > 4.5 > 5.1 over a weekend and had the errors ever since. We've tweaked the 'managers' report so it does better checking and excludes the 219s if they backed up later but still a pain.

We actually have the problem in both sites each with it's own library and 6 tape drives and yes I believe there on as AVR control but connected to the master/media servers via fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back