Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading Words docs with inline graphics??

Status
Not open for further replies.

artnat

Programmer
Jun 16, 2006
US
I am trying to load already laid out MS Word files with photos and graphics in place into InDesign. When I place the word doc in the indesign doc it just gives a sizable box for the photo with "Quicktime and a Tiff (uncompressed) decompressor are needed to see this picture" label but no picture, no name of pic nothing....
Any thoughts?????

If it doesn't need to be edited, you can make a pdf and place that.

I would have zero faith in any graphics in a Word doc. It would be highly advantageous to copy any Word graphic and open it in photoshop to see what's there - like the resolution. etc.

If this is for professional print, the doc should be in cmyk format. The word doc will be in rgb.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Do you have the actual graphic files separate from the Word file? If so, delete the boxes that came in with the import and place the new graphics. If they are only embedded (check your Links palette to see), InDesign can re-create the graphic for you, using the embedded information. Click on the graphic, the name will be highlighted in the Links palette, choose Unembed from the palette menu. You'll get a choice to link to the original graphic (do this if you have the files separately) or to have InDesign create new ones in a new folder (do this if you need the file re-created). Either way, you'll want to open the file in an appropriate software (like Photoshop for photos) and check out the resolution, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back