Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loading txt from external txt file into a dynamic txt box

Status
Not open for further replies.

renartbrazil

Technical User
Dec 12, 2003
US
I have come across some examples on the web for loading external txt files. I have a gallery I am working on and I am in need of some txt under each image. Any suggestions on the most effective way? Doing this for someone else and trying to make it simple as possible so they do not have to open Flash (or I dont each time they need something updated). I would list the two examples I currently have, which are designed for a MC scrollable txt box, just think you guys have better thoughts on this. Thanks

use loadvars to bring in the text file...thats the easy bit

given that a third party will be updating the text file then the structure of that file is the important bit

you could either have each piece of text loaded as a separate variable (best) or have all text as one string and do a split on a keyword

to me the problem with this method is its lack of user friendliness....the person doing the updating has to know all about the use of special symbols (espicially the &)

if i was doing this for someone else i would just build them a quick interface allowing them to edit existing text, add/remove images and text and then have flash save the results as an xml file

that xml file of course is what the main movie would load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back