Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading the tree control - Parent/Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

elhaix

Programmer
Jul 31, 2006
CA
Hi Gang,

I'm going to use the .Net tree control to show corp structure - employees, managers, etc.

This is not just one branch deep, so, one manager could manage several managers, and those managers may have other managers/employees under them.

The data set is basic, with employee IDs and matching manager's ID.

What's the best way to write this?

I've seen examples that point to pulling both data sets then later performing the join on the in-memory tables, but are there better ways to do this, and some examples would be good.

Thanks.

For a large corp structure, I'd just use excel. You can use grouping to display the different levels and you can have up to 65535 employees (16383 if you're using Excel 97).

You could use that to plan it out first then feed it into the tree structure. Excel is a lot easier to manage and you can dump it out in csv format and feed it into something like google spreadsheet or any other spreadsheet.

Tree structures use up a lot of memory and it gets worse the bigger it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back