Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ownuridea

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2003
US
I bought a new hard drive for my laptop, and as a first step broke out the media to install OS. Everything runs fine - reformat to NTFS and load Windows 2000 - until system tells me it's going to restart the computer. At that point, I get a message about disk failure and am instructed to press ctl-alt-delete.

Just to check, I loaded Linux. Although I don't understand this OS, it loads and runs no problem. This eliminates the new drive as a suspect.

I don't have a boot floppy (don't remember if I ever did); just booting from CD.

Well, a solution was found - but not understood. I formated this 20 gb drive to FAT32 and everything works fine. But I'm almost positive the existing 4 gb drive was formatted NTFS.

Big mystery -- ??

No! Come to think of it, the first system was an upgrade from 98. Maybe the BIOS doesn't support NTFS..??

Anyway, all is now fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back