Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading operating system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adscrims1

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
CN
I have a Toshiba Portege 7020CT. It has has it's hard disk formated. I have a copy of Windows NT but with no boot disk!!!! I now have a decent laptop that is unusable. Can anyone help please?
Thanks in advance
Andy

There is sites all over the internet where you can download boot disks....here's a link to one below.

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

I do not have the CD rom drivers. So I guess even with the boot disk I can not use the CD drive to put the O/S on.

NT install CD is bootable (ie, shouldn't need 3 floppy boot disk set - just need to set bios to boot from CD ROM). Also, Windows installs generally have drivers which work with most CD drives - so might as well just try it. You may need to download other drivers (graphics, sound etc) - NT is not plug and play either.

go into the bios and change boot order to 1.cdrom 2.hdd0 3.floppy

the cd driver's aren't necessary to boot from the cd, as the cpu/mobo should recognize it on bootup.

well. I'm not positive with nt. try acquiring a 2000 pro disk, its better than NT anyways, it should work with just the nt cd once you change the boot order.

Nick
Computer Support, no not just hardware.. I support everything :)

I have a laptop with NT on it. I want to blow it away and load Windows Me. How should it be done? any gotcha's??
Thanks

It you are thinking about trashing NT as you say for WinME.
Your PC w/NT is lightly to be formatted with NTFS .ME cant read ntfs filesystem so you will have to use fdisk frrom the ME boot disk to create new partition fat/fat32(all data are lost) ,format it .Then install WinME .

Go to a computer (friend ,office, etc.) and create a windows rescue/boot disk (or get it from the net) .
Boot choosing the "CDrom support" in the boot menu" .
Change drive to WinMe cdrom and type in "setup.exe /is" .

//Regards Soaplover

Art

you'll need to remove the ntfs (if it is) partition using fdisk before creating new fat32 one (it should appear as non-dos to fdisk). Have you got ME drivers for all laptop hardware? (laptops usually more proprietary than desktops - so this could be a problem).

Its always smart as wolluf says to download all the newest drivers before doing something like this .
Make a cd compilation with newest ME drivers for all your hardware .

//Regards Soaplover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back