Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loading movie, browser check, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonherer

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
Okay,
I was hired by the University of Memphis to help out doing a GIS mapping service containing regional info. The powers that be have decreed that they would like something, and I quote, "sexy" to open things up, and I have been tagged with the job of creating a Flash opening. Now that I have created the main movie how do I set up the browser check, loading movie, and whatever else I need to get this dog to bark? Help!

Thanks, Anton

The browser check can be done in several ways but it's fairly standard practice to implement it with Javascript in the head of the HTML page that holds the Flash movie. There are a ton of downloadable scripts in circulation on the web (and some good stuff on Macromedia.com).

The loading movie is typically not a separate movie at all but a scene or movieclip in thw main movie which compares how much of the movie has been loaded in with how large it is in total and provides the user with some indication of where they are in the loading process, the calculation is based on:

percentLoaded = Math.floor((getBytesLoaded()/getBytesTotal())*100);

...inside a loop that repeats until 'percentLoaded' has reached the desired level and a gotoAndPlay action breaks out of the loop and starts the movie proper.

Thanks Wangbar,

Sorry it took so long to reply, I have had a couple of days off because of Fall break. I will try to implement this stuff in the next few days and see if I can figure it all out. I appreciate your help.

Antonherer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back