Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading Fact Table with Type 2 Slowly Changing Dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgaull

MIS
Jun 1, 2010
US
I have a type 2 slowly changing dimension already loaded and now I want to load a fact table. At least, I think it should be a fact table. A lot of the entities in the dimension table have a schedule associated with them. I thought it would be best to implement the schedule as a fact table. The problem I'm having is that the schedule should apply to all instances of an entity in the dimension table. Is the best solution to create a bridge dimension table that contains only unique entities from my dimension table?

Here's a made example scenario:

I have students in a student dimension. I track changes (type 2) of the students address. I have another table with each student's class schedule. I want to relate the class schedule to all instances of the student. Should I create another dimension table that only contains 1 row per student?

Thanks!

Type 2 SCD will work fine as it is. Just store the surrogate key in your fact table based on the date. When you want to query by student, you will filter on the business key, which will bring back all instances of the same student.

Thanks! I have implemented your suggestion today and it's working great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back