Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load W95 onto old machine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonah

Technical User
May 23, 2001
US
I have a spare box with W2K on it. I can donate it if I reload W95 and give them the OEM disk with the box and the OS loaded. How do I go backwards and reinstall W95 on this old PII 300 rig? It is my first machine from early 1998 and is a doorstop right now. I can get a write off this way.

You will have to format the drive because to get W2K on it was formatted to a NTFS drive. The Windows 95 uses a FAT16.

Will I need floppy format discs like I have for W2K ? or can I pop in the W95 CD and just format from that and reinstall 95? thanks

You try that but I think you going to have to format and then load.

Is that some old F disc thing? or is there a download for 95 format I can go get? I remember some of this from the olden days.....

Yes it will be fdisk? If you have partition Magic it would be easy.

and get a 95 bootdisk that matches what you will be installing.

Yes, the fdisk thingy will be required. If it finds a non-dos partition you delete it, then create one.

You probably don't need to format the drive. W95 will find an unformatted partition and format it for you as it is installing.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back