Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

load must be in single user mode when restoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

msyam

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
MY
Hi, have an error message coming out every time I want to restore a master database.
I'm using SQL SERVER 6.5. I have to do backup /restore for about 4 main databases in the server. While restoring database for the master database, an error windows appear.

Microsoft SQL-DMO
------------------
[SQL SERVER] LOAD DATABASE must be used in single user mode if trying to restore the master database.

so, how should I go about with this problem? and what makes the msg appear in the first place?
I welcome any idea/suggestion out there.. :)

Yes your master database does have to be in single user mode if you wish to restore it.

The procedure for a restore on the master database is very different from restoring a user database. I would suggest you have a look at the following topic in BOL
"Restoring the master database" before you attempt a restore on the master db.

In all the years I have work with SQL Server (quite a few) I fortunately have never had to restore the master db in anger. Although I have gone through the process a few times to ensure I am happy with the procedure.

Is you master db corrupt in some way??

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back