Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load External SWF

Status
Not open for further replies.

llldnylll

Technical User
May 21, 2003
Is it possible to load an external swf on a loaded swf?

...Huh.

This is whats going on. I have a main MC (Main.swf) that when button is pressed loads a swf on it (Body.swf). Can i have it so that when something that is on that loaded swf is pressed it loads another swf (Description.swf)?

sure...a common occurance

lets say

main

btn.onRelease = function(){
loadMovie{"body.swf", holder)
}

body

btn2.onRelease = function(){
loadMovie{"desc.swf", _parent.holder)
}

or indeed desc could be loaded into any other clip in either of the swf's

[sadeyes]

I can't get it to work...

I changed button from:
on (release) {
_root.clip2.gotoAndPlay("outro");
_root.nextMovie = "description.swf";
}

To this:
on (release) {
_parent.nextMovie = "description.swf";
}

also tried:
on (release) {
_parent.clip2.gotoAndPlay("outro");
_parent.nextMovie = "description.swf";
}

Take a look
Sorry for bugn' so much[ponder]

Bill's may be in bed by now... Probable early fishing tomorrow...

But trying to navigate through your files right now... And can't find a Web.fla, but I suppose it's in fact Body.fla and that you've changed the name of the outputed .swf, right?
Next question is that there's no First.fla but that seems to be but a blank first loaded movie, right?

Ok! You say it's not working, but what is not working?

I assume this all starts with Main.swf. A button opens up the Web.swf which in turn opens up Description.swf. So what's not happening? When I hit a different button in Web.swf the current picture (in Description.swf) should fade out and another one fade in with maybe a different description in that second space on the right, is that it?

Since every button in Web.swf, is setting "Description.swf" as the next movie to be loaded, what are you in fact expecting that should happen?

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

I have all the names mixed up.

Here’s what suppose to happen...

Open up Main.swf, then when button pressed, it suppose to open up Body.swf, then when another button pressed open up Description.swf. Which should be appearing on the right.

If I open up Body.swf it will open up Description.swf, but if I open up Main.swf, body.swf works, but Description.swf wont work.

I have all the buttons pointing at Desciption.swf now but if I can get this to work; each button would have their own .swf (Desciption2.swf-Description9.swf)

OK! Now I get it!
Except for First.swf, you didn't answer that question!

Should be relatively easy to solve. How long are you going to be around still?

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

As for the First.swf is a blank MC. I think I can replace that with Body.swf

I'll b up a while longer.

[2thumbsup]
Thanks!

Hold on then... If not you should have something by morning.

Browsing 3 Forums right now, and tackling several problems...

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

i'm a flash newbie, so pardon the intrusion. can't you import one SWF as a clip in another for this purpose? i have no ActionScript XP yet, though.

i didnt even try to untangle all the _root.current and next movie bits

however going the direct way works just fine

to a button on body this works as it should

on (release) {
loadMovie("description.swf",clip2);
}

is there more to it that that. if there is i am missing something important.

Of course, that would somewhat work... But it doesn't answer the initial question asked, which was to have it work from Main.swf, nor is it in line with your first rushed initial answer...

But who am I to comment? After all, according to you my hero, "... if you(I) knew the first thing about proper programming techniques you(I) would refrain from such ill informed remarks." [bigcheeks]

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

Got that llldnylll? The man says it works, so it must!

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

[2thumbsup]

THANKS GUYS!

That seems to work, just the way i wanted it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back