Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Balancing two groups on Alteon 180e

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtjames

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2004
I need help load balancing two separate groups on the Alteon 180e. I already have one working, but for some reason, the other Virtual IP is inaccessible. Here is the scenario:

Group 1:
Public IP-> Virtual IP
3 servers in the group all with directly accessible Public IPs
This group works just fine

Group 2:
Public IP-> Virtual IP
2 servers in the group all with directly accessile Public IPs
This group's IP addresses last 2 octets are different than group 1. Both servers can access net through the alteon when directly addressed. The virtual IP is the only thing not working. until the VIP works the load balancing won't work.

All in all, I just want to be able to have 2 virtual IPs on the same alteon load balancer that work.

Hi Gtjames,

Can you tell me if you are running vrrp on both Alteons? If so check you given vrrp priorities, probably the state of the 'second group' is running in backup mode. Can you tell me why you want to use 2 different vip's for the same logical group? I assume both group will do the same service so a single vip's address should do the work. Try disabling the first group and see if the second one is becoming active from this moment.
Different ip-addresses should not be a problem since every should access the group by it's VIP address.

Regards,
JeroeNortel

There is only one alteon. What I am referring to is 5 real servers in 2 groups. One group of 2 servers on ports 6,7. One group of servers on ports 3,4,5. The group of servers on 3,4,5 works fine with its VIP. It is the group of two servers running a different app that I am having trouble with. I can access all 5 servers directly no problem so connectivity itself to the REAL servers is not a problem. One VIP is x.x.126.108, the other is x.x.110.171. The .108 VIP works fine. I can't ping 110.171 or access it at all no matter what. The real servers behind the alteon on the .171 net can be accessed from outside directly but not using the VIP. That is my problem.

Hi gtjames,

I have your situation in mind. Can you tell me the status of the vip (which is not working) through EMS? I like to know if the VIP is up or maybe there are problems noted. Like VLAN's state, VIP state, real server state, virtual server state, etc.
Also try to ping the 110.171 address from within the Alteon (through cli) and check waht happens.

Regards,
JeroeNortel

Looks like the issue actually had to do with a router. We were trying to access the VIP from behind a router that didn't route the IP correctly. It is working fine now. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back