Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Balancing Multiple LLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinkytoy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2007
GB
Hi,

This forum doesn't appear very active so if there is a better place to put this I'd love to know.

Currently we have a 10mb LL and a /24 IP range from our provider, due to increases in what we are hosting we are looking at possibilities of taking a 2nd 10mb LL for redundancy and bandwidth purposes from a 2nd company (again for redundancy).

The question really is, how do I balance inbound connections for a site hosted 123.123.123.123 over both connections (say connection A died)? Is it possible in theory and what do I need for this kind of thing in practice?

Any thoughts?

Is your /24 a PA block from your provider or is it your own PI block?

If your IP address are "Provider Independent" then you would need to multi-home to both providers using BGP. This also means that you would require an AS number.

If your /24 is PA from your ISP then you won't be able to route them via a 2nd ISP.

Chris

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back