Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load balancing IIS website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motiv

ISP
Dec 30, 2007
US
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading this. I would like to load balance our company website using Windows Network Load Balancing.

Our existing web server is Windows 2003 Web Edition running IIS 6.0. There are 10 IPs total bound to the machine.

Lets say companywebsite.com is 216.182.98.50. 15+ other websites reside on the machine using each a unique IP address.

There is no need to load balance the other websites at this time. Now to my question:

Would it be okay to use the existing companywebsite.com IP address as the Load Balancing Cluster IP Address, and add say three existing non-used IP addresses to the pool for load balancing? Would this effect the other websites using the other unique IP addresses, or should this be fine?

Thanks in advance

the virtual IP will be theo nly one used for load balancing...extra IPs will be pointless and will be assigned for normal communications if i remember right. you should be able to use the same IP, however, that will limit you to using your website name as the virtual name for the cluster. This is because you should already have a host record in dns for your website, and to create another record for a different host name (virtual name in this case) mapped to the same IP would cause an IP conflict.

hope this helps...

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging00, MCSA03, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back