Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOAD 5519 on STK 9940B

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2010
GB
Hello

On a 9940B drive we are getting "LOAD 5519" occasionally when tape is first accessed after loading.

Please could someone advise what this FSC means? Not sure if we've got bad tapes or drive here.

Thanks
Mike

FSC 5519
Tape crashed UPEOT emergency shutdown limit.
Cause: hardware 50% or firmware 50%

Havn't seen this before but looks like the drive is not sensing end of tape.

I agree with STKman I also did not see it before...

I will firstly try a different cartridge and see if the same FSC occurs..if yes,then reload the firmware if it does not solve the problem, replace drive.

Thanks STKman and TechyG.

Problem occurs on a selection of media, so it does look like a drive issue rather than media.

One thing I have noticed is that the f/w on this drive is different from others. It has rev 1.34.408 and our others are 1.42.407f

Is there a later f/w version available, or should I update the suspect drive with 1.42.407f ?

Sorry for the extra q's

Regards
Mike

As a rule of thumb it is better to have all your drives at the same level, even if a later level is available. 1.42.407 is recent code though.

We decided to try updating the 1.34.408 drive.

When attempting to create a code tape on any of our 1.42.407 drives we get yet another FSC: A738

What are we doing wrong?

Thanks again
Mike

Check the drive config and look for a setting called FULLTAPE=X. If X=N then you cannot make a code tape from it as the eeprom has been flashed with a partial image. It will only work if X=Y.

I agree with STKman. Even if you change the fullcode config to yes you will not be able to make a code tape...

the best is to use scsi tools and load the firmware...

The only time you can crate a code tape is when you change fullcode config to yes and then use scsi tools to load the code... because I also tried what you did in the past...

Hi STKman and TechyG

Thanks again for your replies. Indeed the setting is FULLCODE=N for all our drives.

Now the next questions...

- how can I get a copy of the firmware for the drive?
- (can I extract the firmware from the drive using SCSI tools?)
- is there a recommended SCSI tools utility and how do I obtain it.

It seems that every answer you guys gives me leads to new questions - not sure how that happens... sorry!

Regards
Mike

Some answers...

how can I get a copy of the firmware for the drive?
- a customer used to be able to download it from the STK website but Sun/Oracle have shut down the site. Authorised repairers are not allowed to sell or give away firmware but they should be able to repair/refurbish your drive to that code level if you send them the drive. You will need to phone any vendors that you know about in your country and see what they can offer you.

can I extract the firmware from the drive using SCSI tools?
- NO

is there a recommended SCSI tools utility and how do I obtain it? - When you see scsi tools mentioned on this forum it will be the product from this company: My company has a license to use it, but it is very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back