Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lnk files won't work and icons missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger2001

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2001
BE
Hi,
I have a user with a Windows 95 machine who suddenly could not access any programs. After 2 reboots, with no error messages still the same.
It is a windows 95 machine. It prompts for a network password (NT domain) and accepts that OK. On bootup, no desktop lnk files show their correct icons (just white box with flying Windows) except for My computer and Network Neighbourhood which do have their correct icons.
On double clicking any icon on the desktop nothing happens, although the start button works OK.
Going through Start to individual programs has the same effect. No icon, and no start if clicked.
If however I go to DOS and enter explorer or a valid program from within its valid directory, the executable seems to work fine.
Can any bright spark help with restoring the lnk files back to working order please.
TIA

Can you create a new shortcut and try that out?
If it works, just delete the old shortcuts and recreate them.
If this doesn't work, it might be worth installing Active Desktop.
When you say no icon on the desktop works, do you also mean My Computer and Network Neighbourhood, or are they totally unaffected?

Nothing on the desktop or program files works. Every .lnk link is not working. It would be impossible to restore each one separately. I'd prefer not to have to reinstall the OS, but that would be quicker than trying to restore every lnk.

There is a .lnk section in the registry and my feelings are that it may be something to do with that being wrong or corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back