Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.lnk extention problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voga

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hello everybody.

I have a problem with my desktop. Over sudden all icons on the desktop and some files in some folders have lost their original looks and obtained wired extension .LNK
Of course these files can't be accessed in its original way. I have removed some viruses from the system but it didn't help much. Whatever file, shortcut or program I place at the desktop immediately gets this .lnk extension. If anybody had this problem before please help me to solve it.

Thank you.
Voga.

Guys
Thank you very much for you help. I'm very appriciate it.
The solution offered by Linney fixed all the problems wityhin e seconds. Thanks Linney and get a star [thumbsup2]

I would not be so sanguine that your problem has ended.
This is not a simple file association error.

I hope you do not findout on next reboot.

See my notes in "Bube -- a real badie" in forum760

I agree with "Bcastner" what originally caused your problem may strike again and may still be lurking in System Restore and elsewhere in your machine.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Microsoft (GIANT Antispyware) Beta available
Thread779-979113

Thanks guys,

So far, so good. I've performed a few deep MS AntiSpyware scans as well as AntiVir scans and rebooted system many times. I hope it will keep the problem away. BTW, I have another question regarding spyware removal. Why MS AntiSpyware Beta 1 does not detect some spyfiles which Ad-aware 6.0 does and vice versa? Looks like both programs have been created for different kinds of spyware?[ponder]

Thanks.
Voga.

Every spyware/adware program behaves like this. Just as every antivirus program behaves differently from all others.

Remember also that MS's software is still in beta.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

2 LloydSev (ISP)

I think that real value of any antivirus or antispyware program is its database. More data about viruses and spyware in the database - more powerful is the program. Although MS AntiSpyware is a Beta version, it's MUCH more powerful than Ad-aware 6.0. I had an ugly spyware nowpoint.com on my machine which I could get rid of it ONLY with MS AntiSpyware while Ad-aware 6.0 had no effect at it at all. It seems to me Ad-aware 6.0 detects the spyware with low or moderate level of threat and real ugly stuff gets through this program undetected.

At the moment the MS Antispyware product does not really concern itself with cookies. So the next time you see different results from running an alternative product, go count how much of the difference lies in cookies.

The clue here is in the name of the applications. AdAware seems to be more concerned with the lowlevel malware, such as tracking cookies, adware, etc.. with some support for higher level nasties such as VX2. The MS product is more concerned with Mid and High level malware such as Spyware, Adware etc.. with very little support for cookies.

The following is a nice comparison between the 3 big players in malware removal
My personal though is to use all 3 when dealing with a malware problem.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

2 bcastner (IS/IT--Manageme)

Well, you right MS Antispyware doesn't scan cookies yet, however virus is a program and cookie is text file so I think IMHO any virus is much more harmful, plus we can always adjust our machine's settings for managing and deleting cookies even without fancy antivirus programs.

The "Beta" in the Microsoft Anti-spyware should be taken seriously.

Cookie scanning will come. (It actually is already there, but not implemented).

The key issue was raised by Forum member gpalmer711 above. You want an active firewall, an actively scanning antivirus product, and one active anti-spyware/malware product if a frequent user of the internet.

I would depend on one actively scanning product in all three catagories. I would also regularly scan with alternatives. Nobody catches all of them.

See my thoughts in faq608-4650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back