Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LMS2.5 - How to change telnet credentials ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbilgrav

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2004
DK
Hiya,

I got LMS2.5 up and running - great tool
But since my last update, there is about 150 device in my network that are new, so I need to have the devices in the DCR updated with telnet pass, and write comm.
Normally this is done manually one by one...
Which offcourse I would like to script via fx a CSV-file

How to do ?

We're all faced with the same issue once new devices are found and added to the Device and Credential Repository.

Open the DCR and perform an export of the database. Open that file in notepad and insert all of your credentials. Save the file (do not use a file extension) then import it back into the DCR ensuring that you've told the import wizard to use the file over the database in case of any duplicates.

This will overwrite the database with the credentials that you just added so that next time you open the DCR, you'll see that each device now has telnet credentials as well as snmp.

This is still somewhat of a manual process, but will enable you to only have to type the credentials once then simply paste them into each device for which they apply. Be sure you're familiar with the fields of the DCR export file (comma seperated). The field headers are listed in the exported file.

"Be the packet."

Thank you for your reply.

Though I have allready tried an import using overwrite, the system reports device allready exsists, hence no update from import.

But I surely will give it one more try, using your exact instruktions.

I'll be back ...
8)

Hi,

If you do the export in CSV format, it is often easier to edit the file using something like Microsoft Excel as you can do mass changes to cells and copy & paste etc.

Just make sure that when you have finished you save it back in CSV format.

Nigel Bowden

This is what I have done, andsystem reports Device allready exsists ... as mentioned

Hi,

If you have a look at this on the Cisco web site :

Look in the section 'Importing Devices and Credentials', it tells you how to import from your CSV file and ignore what's already in the DCR :

"Importing From a File

To import from a file:

Step 1 Enter the file name.

Or,

Browse the file system and select the file using the Browse tab.

Step 2 Select CSV or XML file formats, as required.

Only CSV2.0 and CSV3.0 file formats are supported.

Step 3 Select either Use data from Import source or Use data from DCR, to resolve conflicts during import.

•If you select Use data from Import source, the credentials from the import source will be used, and credentials for the device in DCR will be modified.

•If you select Use data from DCR, the device credentials in DCR will be used.

Step 4 Schedule the task. To do this:

a. Select the RunType from the drop-down list.

You can schedule importing the devices immediately or schedule the import for a later time. The scheduling can be periodic (daily, weekly, or monthly) or for a single instance.

b. Select the date from the date picker.

Step 5 Enter the Job description in the Job Info field.

Step 6 Click Import."

Nigel Bowden

Hi

I have been testing "damesac"'s sugguested method, and it looks like it works !
Great.

What I think confused me into think that this doesnt work, is the IMPORT msg after an import:

DEVICE NOT IMPORTED: Conflicting Devices (DCA CHANGED): 78

The above msg is not what I would call a pointer to what I just did was a succes ...

But Infact the changes to device attributes are accepted and applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back