Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LJ 5si scrambles print from network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldriskell

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2004
US
Using a LaserJet 5si on a network. Quite randomly, the printed page will come out scrambled: the top of the page at the bottom, or text will be jumbled in vertical strips, or there'll be a block of solid white in the middle of the page, etc. No recognizable pattern. Same results with a PDF as a Word document (though it appears to occur with less frequency in Word). The interesting thing is that I printed out 50 pages from a paper path test and it printed out perfectly. I have tried at least 15 different drivers of the Laserjet 5 & 4 variety (si, mx, pcl, ps, etc) and nothing changed. This is an old printer -- is it just a bad network card or is there something else I should check out?

(Also, does anyone know if this printer supports configuration via the web browser? I cannot get to the system settings by entering the IP address into IE...)

Thanks in advance,

L.

Have you reseated th Jetdirect card??

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

You have to telnet to the card.If you dowhload Web Jet admin from HP,you can manage via browser.

Rick Harris
Network Operations

1) I removed the entire board overnight and reseated the network card to the other slot.
Immediately, a job that someone must've sent last night started coming through and a few of the pages were scrambled.

2) What I forgot to also say (because I cleared the error message before I thought to write it down) is that when I initially hooked the printer up for the first time, I got a "53.04.02 error" (with the 53 blinking). I also got this error this morning when I plugged everything back in. When you press the Online button, it then displays "05 Self Test" and then eventually goes to "Ready".
I did a reset holding the Online button and repowering the system and got the 53.04.02 again. Does that help? I couldn't find anything about this error when I did a search.

Thanks.

Print out a configuration and verify the settings.Pay particular attention printer protocols and ip settings.

Rick Harris
Network Operations

Did you just add memory? The service manual list that error as an unsupported memory error.

sounds like a memory reseat issue
perhaps it needs some internal preven. maint. care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back