Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Livelink Search API 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrinkDawg

Technical User
Jun 22, 2002
US
Hi everyone, my name is Mike and this is my first question here...

I'm trying to use the Livelink Search API in Java to search through Livelink and return a list of documents. I create a session, access the enterprise workspace, and I am trying to use the method ApplyQueryRecArray to recursively get the documents under the main node for the workspace. My call to this function is as follows:

if (queryObject.ApplyQueryRecArray(objectID, selectList, where, LAPI_SEARCH.SORTBYNOTHING, "OTName", 0, 1000000, "None", docs) == 0)
{...

Every time I run this I get the following error:

com.opentext.api.LLIllegalOperationException: get(name) not implemented for this datatype
at com.opentext.api.LLInstance.get(LLInstance.java:72)
at com.opentext.api.LLValue.toValue(LLValue.java:691)
at com.opentext.api.LLConnect.unMarshall(LLConnect.java:317)
at com.opentext.api.LAPI_SEARCH.ApplyQueryRecArray(LAPI_SEARCH.java:74)
at LLTest.DLTest.main(DLTest.java:74)

I originally had the parameter "OTName" in the call above to be null, and have also changed it to be "" and "Name", all except null with the same results. When I had null in the call, there was a different error that told me to change that parameter.

I have searched all over the web for a solution. If anyone has any information on how to do this or where I can get more information then I would appreciate that. The Livelink API documentation is proving less than satisfactory.

Thanks!

-Mike

Did you ever find an answer for this? I'm having a very similar problem.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Hi Adam, I do have a solution to this one...the first problem is that ApplyQueryRecArray is a depreciated method. Oops! ApplyQuery is the one I should have been using. :)

My second problem is that I wanted to return a *lot* of results. I went back and forth with the Opentext people about this and finally would up not using the Search API at all for what I wanted to do, per their advice. Apparently the Search API is only useful when returning sets of less than about 100 results. My support person told me that he had a customer that was returning 6000 results and that was taking on the order of 30 minutes. Yikes!

Last, there was a monthly patch that we needed to install for the Search API to even work at all. This was a few months ago, so if you have the latest patches you should be fine on this one.

If you want to discuss your situation I'd be happy to give my input. I guess there are some things I would want to know like what version/patches do you have installed and what is it exactly that you want to do. Let me know...

----------------------------------------
My second problem is that I wanted to return a *lot* of results. I went back and forth with the Opentext people about this and finally would up not using the Search API at all for what I wanted to do, per their advice. Apparently the Search API is only useful when returning sets of less than about 100 results. My support person told me that he had a customer that was returning 6000 results and that was taking on the order of 30 minutes. Yikes!
----------------------------------------

When asking for 6000 results, rememeber that is permissioned results and that will take time. Just curious who needs a "lot" of results in one page? The api can handle pagination of results this is a much better approach, just like google :)

Hi Mike,

if ur requirement from livelink is just to return search results, why use LAPI at all? u can submit http requests directly to the livelink engine & get the results in xml format(if u want in xml format that is). thats how we are doing integratin with Livelink.

I am guessing that you are referring to the search API which I have had trouble finding any documentation on or in obtaining from Opentext !!

The HTTP direct route I thought was another addin but it seems that you are saying that it is built in to the 9.1.0 product ?

Here is a ficticious example in case anyone is getting irritated with the 'look here in the Opentext knowledge base only to find nothing very useful !!

OR

The output format does not need to be XML but this seems the most useful.

Unfortunately it seems that it is NOT possible to search on any created category information !!

e.g.

(""Attr_332923_2""%20:%20""Effective"")

The search "api" from a url was only officially supported in 9.1.0sp3 and above. As for documentation, search the admin help for "search xml api" and it's all there online. Mind you, you need the admin help search index built for this :)

As for the search for cats&atts, if you are searching for a popup then search for the entire text field:

&quot;<Attr_141980_2>Effective</Attr_141980_2>&quot;

and to do the regular region search of attributes, so you get:

mode1=LivelinkQuery&where1=Attr_141980_2%3AEffective

Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back