Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liveboot cleaner recommendations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
We just had a machine get a rootkit that was able to turn off the Trend service and block Malwarebytes and Spybot from installing or running. Fortunately, renaming the MBAP installer, then renaming the MBAP executable allowed it to run and clean.

We're thinking it's time to start using a liveboot cleaner from either CD or USB. I know there's a ton of these out there that are fully loaded and pre-configured so you can just download, boot and clean. Before I start downloading, I'm looking for recommendations from the membership here.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

The three I use are BartPE, Dr. Web Live CD, and Helix3. Unfortunately, Helix is no longer free. Both BartPE and Dr. Web do very well but BartPE is more extendable. You can plug in only those features or updates you need. I usually end up running all three just to be safe.

On one side note, I ran into a "root kit" installed by Embarcadero for some demos of their products. I used SysInternal's RootRevealer to find it. Once I found it, Windows and Windows bootable CD's wouldn't let me delete it. I ended up using Ubuntu Live CD (though Helix should have worked, too) to delete the files.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I just tried Avira's System Rescue. Looks good.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back