Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

live update event logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

edifreak

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2003
AU
i'm breaking my head over this norton's auto live update thing. pls some one help!!!

This is the message that gets logged on to the application log.

Download of virus definition file from LiveUpdate server failed. 00000001

i'm running a norton corporate server (v8.1)
i have configured the anitvirus to use Virus Definitions Transport Method (VDTM) as described by one of symantec's KB documents.

I have configured the primary server so that it looks for updates every day at 11am! I have selected the source as Liveupdate (WIN32) / FTP (Netware) and i left the default settings for the ftp address and ftp login details. They are

Host address: ftp.symantec.com
remote folder: /public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus_corp

ftp login details: userid - anonymous pass:registered_user@mysite

for Firewall info i have selected it to use proxy server as all net traffic goes thru proxy.

Proxy Type: user and password
Address: myserverproxy port: 21
and i have entered userid and pass for the proxy.

I have configured the liveupdate options on the control panel.
FTP uses the proxy server with server port 21 HTTP uses the customised settings that point to the proxy server with the correct userid and pass
ISP uses Internet options in the control panel option. And yes I have checked the internet options and it points to the proxy server and with right ports (21) for FTP.

Norton also looks for updates everyday at 11am. This is been configured using the "schedule updates" option (don't ask me why, because this is been done by the previous admin)

ok now, everything works fine when i click on the liveupdate button to do a manual update.

but the auto update that has been set using the Virus Definitions Transport Method (VDTM) logs in the error i have mentioned above.

i'm not quite sure where i have misconfigured things! pls help!! thanks in advance!

hi all! i just came across this post on this forum that talked about using cegetter.bat script to do automatic updates... i will keep that as my last option. right now, i just dont understand why my way of setting up live update giving me errors!
anybody?

thanks anyways allen. The cegetter.bat does the job well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back