Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Live Update and Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowsley

Programmer
Oct 10, 2000
US
This question is two-fold.
1. I am running Symantec Enterprise Security for Desktops and File Servers on a Web Server. When I start the Symantec console, the server does not see itself. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I doing something wrong???

2. On the same server, I am running Terminal Services. Symantec says "do not support servers using Live Update with Terminal Service". Does support mean Live Update will not work, or does it mean that when you call in for help, they will throw up their hands and say "Sorry I can't help you"

Has anyone had either one of these problems? Thanks Jeff

1. The SSC always uses the network to communicate with servers, even if they're on the same machine. I suppose I'd check to make sure the SAV service is running, and if it isn't, there's a range of directions to go from there. If it is, make sure you've got good name resolution, that you're not somehow blocking ports, that kind of thing.

2. Here's my understanding of what Symantec tech support means when they say something isn't supported:

- If they say the PRODUCT doesn't support X, it won't work.
- If they say X "is not supported," then they don't recommend it, it's likely not to work, some people probably have tried it and it works, but if something goes wrong with it it's your own lookout because they told you not to do it in the first place. They won't help you with it. Unless you're a Fortune 500, in which case special rules apply.

Anyway, the easiest way to deal with that is to take a random box on the same subnet and make it the primary server, so the Web server with Terminal Services doesn't have to run LiveUpdate.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Jeff,

Re: 2) -- Terminal Services.

In my experience -- 2003 server, SSC from NAV9, the product simply will NOT work.

So, what you do is TURN OFF terminal services (cpaned, add/remove sw, etc..) then TURN ON "Remote Desktop" (cpanel, system, remote..)

Under 2003 server, Remote Desktop will allow two concurrent RDP ("terminal") sessions and 1 console logon.

If you're using Terminal Services for remote administration -- just side step the issue outright by doing the above.

In that configuration -- the SSC considers the installation a-okay, because TS isn't installed.. and works just fine, in my experience.

-- Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back