Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Little red square with an X in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telephonist

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hello All, I'm fairly new to Quark and I can't figure this out. I'll include as much info as possible, since I don't know what's relevant.

I'm running QuarkXpress 6.0 for Windows, working on a document that was created by someone else about 8 years ago using QuarkXpress 4.04 for Windows. The project is a campus directory, and the section with this problem is a group of pages for emergency instructions that have no page numbers.

On several of the pages, there is a little icon that's a red square with a red X inside, at the bottom of the page. Apparently, this little icon indicates some feature or function that will not allow the text to flow to a subsequent page when we add to what is already there. The text that should flow to a new page just disappears off the bottom of the page with the icon. If we copy and paste the text into a new page, the icon appears on the new page, too.

On several of the pages with the icon, the text goes outside of the top and bottom "margins" that are defined on a normal page, so I'm thinking that the author of this document used some feature to keep the text limited to one page. However, it's also possible that this was a mistake, since the original author was just learning the product, as well.

I have spent many hours looking for how to eliminate this icon, but since I don't know what it is, I haven't found anything useful. Can anyone tell me what the icon represents, and how to get rid of it? Any help is appreciated.

Hi Telephonist
That little red x in a box indicates that there is too much text for the text box to show.
If you make the box larger to see all the text that will disappear. or you can make the text and leading in the text box smaller and that might also make it disappear.
Maybe you need to copy and paste all that text from those pages into into a new document and link all the boxes together.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

IMacQuarker,

Thanks for the reply. I temporarily deleted about half a page of the text, and could than see what was "off the page", but even when I got rid of the text, and only had about half a page in the text box, the red x in a box was still there. It's like some of the pages are configured to be stand-alone.

Is there no way to get rid of the x, or does linking the boxes accomplish that? And how do I go about linking the boxes?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Telephonist
You can also get the the x in a box if you have a single unlinked page with only one column and you hit "Enter" which means start following text in next column. So try making 2 columns in that text box.
Also "Shift Enter" means start a new page, so if you have one page and not linked then you will get the x in a box also.
To make 2 columns in a text box go to item, modify, text and choose 2 columns.
To link text boxes together select the linking tool and click the first text box which will have a scrolling dotted line going around it then click on the text box to link to.
Also try putting the cursor in the text and use the right arrow key to scroll to the end of the text until you hear a noise then hit delete (maybe even several times until you see the text delete), that should get rid of the x in a box if it is there because of using the Enter function.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

IMacQuarker,

Your posts helped tremendously. I now understand what was happening, and just knowing the terminology involved allows me to look up further information. Thanks bunches.

Telephonist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back