Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Little Confusion on using PING...

Status
Not open for further replies.

imatek

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
Could someone maybe help clarify something about running a PING test. When someone calls me and tell me that they are experiencing slow connections on the Internet, I normally try to ping their IP address first and then tell them what could be the cause. Some people are saying that pinging my customer is not a reliable test, I should have my customer ping beyond their default gateway first and then I'll be to determine the problem. Is pinging my customer first not a reliable test especially of we're both on different subnets?

A ping will verify a connection but as a test of network stability it isn't very good because the packet size is small. there are programs that will test throughput by sending large packets that would be better.

Ping will help show that a connection exists, but it's not always a reliable test for speed analysis. Instead, use tracert (traceroute). Have the customer execute this command just like you would for Ping:

tracert
Of course, it makes sense to choose the site(s) the customer is experiencing slow connections with. Although it takes some time to complete, you'll receive a list of "hops" that indicate each router a packet travels through to reach the destination. From here, it is easy to see where the slowness is occurring since each router usually returns a ping. The path a packet travels depends on the ISP.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

there is a prog out there called neotrace that is a nice little tool. it will do pings and tracert for you in a gui format instead of a dos box.
knoweldge is power, spread the power

I want to thank everyone for replying to my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back