Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Literally is no longer Literally 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Dictionaries change: This is literally the end of the English language

Given that the cited definition is self-referential, what does that really do to the definition?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

I disagree with the decision to amend the definition in this way. People used it as hyperbole that's always been why its used in that circumstance. If that's the reason then we have to add all hyperbolic uses of words to the dictionary definition and that's a very slippery slope.

My head literally exploded (according to the new definition).

I littoraly want to stick my head in the sand.

-- Francis
Francisus ego, sed non sum papa.

Did you read the article below the video?

Actually there is no ham in hamburger.

The hamburger comes from the german city Hamburg and this name is derived from the castle Hammaburg, in which Hamma comes from old german "Hamme" or "Hamm", which describes a certain landscape including a hill, forest and marshland. That aside a burger also is not another word for a meat patty or the whole thing, but comes from german burg, which translates to castle.

So literally there is no ham in hamburger, and no Burg.

All derived burger names like cheeseburger are a joke in itself, but if it was named by the ingredients it would need to be called Beefburger.

The sad thing is, even Hamburgers would tell you ham comes from ham as in bacon/pork/meat. The history of this snack is lost and it has become a native American thing.

Bye, Olaf.

Yes, and Frankfurter is from Frankfurt, and Weiner is from Vienna - which city is it, really?

-- Francis
Francisus ego, sed non sum papa.

I thought that the name Hamburger (the pattie) derived from "Hamburg Steak" which was chopped/minced and shaped beef which was then cooked like a steak would be. The bun came later.

Link

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

With a nod to FIOL for providing this most recently.

thread1256-1713887

The tack I take with things like this is to simply not use it.

It falls in the same catagory (for me) as:
- needless to say
- irregardless

Next up is the word Ironic (any bets?) I think it will soon be redefined as any unexpected or unfortunate outcome (as that is how it is used)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Why is the English language changing to accommodate the lowest common denominator. You know your in trouble when society has to change it self so the people who cant use words correctly don't feel "left out". Very confusing.

==> Why is the English language changing to accommodate the lowest common denominator.
Idiocracy

==> The tack I take with things like
So what's your point? :)

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Kozar said:
You know your in trouble when society has to change it self so the people who cant use words correctly don't feel "left out".

So, Kozar, do you feel "left out" here on MAI? <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Whoa! Serious Burn. Ironic? Yup, passes my litmus test. (Add extra Irony for using Ironic after my comment above)

SantaMufasa said:
So, Kozar, do you feel "left out" here on MAI? <grin>

I will be the first to admit my spelling and grammar are far from perfect. However I do pride my self on using words correctly in regards to their definition. The exception of course being hyperbole which is what they took away from people by amending the definition of literally.

@CajunCenturion - Missed your reply earlier.

Pun or critique re: Tack.

That is definitely an expression I use a lot. If it is incorrect, I would like to know (literally)

I think instead of the word &quot;tack&quot;, I think you mean &quot;tact&quot;. I took it as simple typo, but one which left itself open for the pun.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

Fair enough.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

A vote in support of kwbMitel here. I use "tack" in the same way, a sailing term meaning the direction I've chosen to go, usually against the prevailing winds. Tacking is a sailing tactic.

[bigsmile]

> Weiner is from Vienna - which city is it, really?
Vienna is in Austria and the native name is Wien, that's the city name. And it's caleld Wiener in Austria and germany, not Weiner.

Bye, Olaf.

Basking in the glory, Thanks Sambones (it's so rare that I'm right, that I'm literally speechless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back