Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

listbox recordset criteria based on field on same form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2002
US
I am using Access 2000 and SQL Server 2000.

I have seen another post that deals with using a field on a form as the criteria on a listbox's recordset, but the recordset was a stored procedure.

Can I have criteria in the recordset of a listbox be a field's value (e.g. ... from table1 where myfield = [comboboxonmyform]) on the same form without using stored procedures? This is very easy to do with plain access, but I am new to projects and am embarrased to say I have been searching for this answer for hours today.

The Northwind database examples only show opening another form/report based fields on a different form. I want the criteria on a recordset to reflect a field's value on the same form.

I don't think input parameters are a solution. Must I somehow use stored procedures?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi,

You could use a string of sql for the list boxes record source. something like this. I am going to assume the value in your xombo box is an number for now.

Dim strSQL as String
Dim combo as Integer

combo = forms!YourFormName!YourComboBox
strSQL = SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = '" & combo & "'
listbox.rowsource = strSQL

Thanks Nowell.

That did it! I use vba to change SQL statements of listboxes in other plain Access DB's, so I don't know why I didn't think of it for this problem.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back