Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

List the IP Address of all computers connect to the LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiapexman

Technical User
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hello all,

I need a way to list all of the used IP addresses on a LAN so that I can assign a new Static IP to a new machine without using an existing IP.

This is a workgoup type network with no domain.

If you have access to the router or Layer 3 switch on this network, the arp table should show all active IP's.

If you are asking how to do it with Sniffer, you need a Sniffer on that segment, go to address book and run an autodiscovery. There are several third party tools that also do ping sweeps.

Doug

You can also make sure in the same VLAN as the workstations.
Go to Monitor -> Host Table and click the IP tab.
You can also Start a capture and reference the Expert Object->Stations. (If you have Expert)

Then just let it run for a few hours.

All the existing PC will broadcast at some point or another.

If you decide to start a capture just Stop and Display the captured frames, go to Objects->Stations and use the Expert to HTML feature to create a spiffy HTML report.

'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

For ping sweeping, my all-time favorite tool is getif ( It is a VERY handy tool to check out a device with SNMP.

Try it, you'll like it!

Patrick

Patrick Bartkus, CCNP, CNX, SCM, RHCE Sr. Network Engineer
GA Dept of Labor IT Network Services
If truth were not absolute, how could there be justice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back