Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

List analogue channels that have handsets connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoobiedoo

Technical User
Jul 4, 2009
GB

Using Hipath DX, Rev 12.0.161.

I am familiar with the use of Trex and LDTI to identify digital channels terminating in digital handsets (or not) but I am not aware of any commands to detect if an analogue channel has a handset connected. The type of handset is not important, just whether the system can tell if the line terminates in a device of some kind.

Any recommendations of MMI commands that might provide this information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Stuart

No way to tell if there is a phone connected to a analogue from MMI.

If the channel is disabled it will have a * against it in LCH
If the channel is uninstalled it will have a $ against it in LCH

Normally I would use call logger reports to find unused extensions.

You could look at your MDF or patch panels to look for channels which aren't jumpered or patched.

Hello thepfy,

Thank you for the reply. I have used call logs and traced out some local extensions but was hoping for a quick fix for remote sites. I have a vague recollection of a Unify engineer showing how he could test from the MMI console whether an analogue channel terminated in a device/handset but at the time it seemed unimportant. Perhaps I just misunderstood what he was doing.

Regards,

Stuart

I've checked my documentation and cannot see a command.
If it was a digital or IP phone it would generate an 82 error in LET A and would have brackets around the phone type in LDTE.

LPE will show any extensions left off hook (parked).

I can't think of a system which can tell if there is an analogue phone as there is no currently flowing when on hook.

You can check the capacitance of the line going towards the telephone (disconnected from the system), this would indicate length of line, distance to fault, whether a ringing capacitor is detected or not.

You can use a magneto phone with a hand cranked ring generator
If there is physical resistance from the hand cranked generator then there is a phone connected, if the hand crank rotates freely then there is no phone connected.

One way of seeing if there is a POT phone hooked up to an extension channel is to change the 'No Test Flag' setting for each of the analogue extension channels.

This tells the DX to run a very basic diagnostics test on the extension channel - if no telephone is on the the end of the extension channel a type 14 is flagged in the error table.

EG, to enable test on channel 16 of the card in slot 7 of shelf 4 =

CNT 040716 Y (rtn)

then run the following to force an extension channel test =

RDT EC A Y (rtn)

Bit long-winded but the only way as far as i can see - also you will be limited as to results depending on the maximum line length of the hardware error table (99 i think?).

Good luck

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back