Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux XP dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzi2

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
GB
New to Linux...and completely stuck...

My husband has put Linux on our PC (apparently as a dual boot??) and has now gone away on business. I started up the PC to find XP did not seem to be there. I am stuck on a Linux login which I don't have access to. How do I get back to my XP login? Or how can I get my files back?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

While booting, did'nt any "Menu" come up on the screen asking which OS to boot. If not, I guess you have to get the root password your husband had set while installing Linux.

After getting the root password, you can go to the "Boot Manager" and make changes there.

vijay.

I agree, there should have been a boot menu that came up just after your turned on the pc. In this menu, your windows xp installation may be called NT or Windows NT.

Or...check for a boot disk in the floppy drive and remove it before starting. :)

Thanks for all the help... it looks like he didn't do it properly so has re-formatted the hard drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back