Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux ws3 cant read/write dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnoobs

Technical User
Aug 22, 2006
EG
it shows on fstab that dvd is verified as cdrom

i dont know what is the file system of dvd can any advice how to fix it?

Hi

i tried to edit fstab and changed the file system field to auto and it really worked with DVDs and it can read them but the problem still exists that BLANK DVDs have no filesystem so it cant be mounted, how can i mount it? can any one help me in this cuz i need to burn DVDs also am using VMWARE and installed windows on it ... so the DVD is mapped by vmware and am trying to burn DVDs using windows, as the blank DVD is not mounted, windows can't see the DVD and burn it.

PLease HELP!! :'(

...the problem still exists that BLANK DVDs have no filesystem...
Which part of BLANK are you confused about? When you mount something, you are mounting a filesystem. You don't mount disks or partitions. If a disk doesn't have a filesystem, then you can't mount it. Period.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

By the way, why are your trying to burn CDs/DVDs via Windows in VMware? Can't you burn them from Linux?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

OT

Why just the other day I was trying to use my Commodore 64 emulator under Windows 98 under VMWare under OS/2.

Had a few problems but the cassette reader worked ok.......

</satire>

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

karnoobs said:
so the DVD is mapped by vmware and am trying to burn DVDs using windows, as the blank DVD is not mounted, windows can't see the DVD and burn it.
Are you sure the DVD burner is set up correctly in VMware? To burn a DVD VMware is going to need access to the raw DVD device. For this, you actually don't want the DVD to be mounted. If the drive is invisible to Windows until you mount a disk, then my first guess would be that something is weird with your VMware configuration

hey i solved it guys, the problem was not from the linx it was from the vmware itself i had to edit the .vmx file and i fond that device type should be edited to cdrom-raw, this parameter means to map the dvd as it is verified on the host computer and it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back