Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux / Windows home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabob

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2004
US
I have one PC running SUSE Linux 10.0 and another running Windows XP Home Edition. They both are connected to a Linksys broadband router, sharing a DSL connection, and using DHCP addresses from the router.

I would like to be able to transfer files between the two, and have the Linux PC be able to use the printer connected to a USB port on my Windows PC. Is this possible?

I am new to Linux and need all the help I can get...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Read up on Samba. You can use it to access Windows file and print shares from Linux and use the server to set up shares on the Linux system that can be accessed from Windows. It will be on your installation CDs if you don't already have it installed. SuSE may even has a graphical configuration tool for it.

You'll probably also want the CUPS print server software on your Linux box if it isn't already installed.

You may also need to set up a Guest user on the Windows XP box.

But it is possible - not as simple as you might be hoping, but possible.

Samba file sharing is fairly simple out of the box. Most distros come with samba setup already to "just work". Using cups can be difficult because you need drivers for the printer, and a lot of printers don't have linux drivers yet.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Dude, you have the same sig. Great minds? :)

Mark

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I saw it on a T-shirt once, didn't know anyone else was using it as their signature.

If you had yours first, I'll change mine...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Not a problem. I was ready to change myself. Found this one on a think-geek T I bought.

L8R,
Mark

SELECT * FROM management WHERE clue > 1
> 0 rows returned

--ThinkGeek T-Shrit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back