Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux VS XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresanus

Technical User
Oct 7, 2007
US
Quick question, I have the option of running XP or Ubuntu linux on my EEE PC laptop (2 gb ram 8gb solid state hard drive) and am wondering which would be better.

I would only be using this computer for basic tasks (surfing the web, some word processing, few pictures) but want to know if certain applications can load on linux (office 03, a how to play guitar cd-rom).

Also I have my how to play guitar cd rom loaded as an ISO file on XP right now because this tiny guy doesn't have a CD ROM drive, will I be able to mimick this in linux?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any responses!

Tres

Windows programs will not run natively in linux. There are other options for Office 2003 (OpenOffice suits me fine), not so sure about your guitar program. You can install WINE which is a pack of libraries that can allow some Windows programs to run, but this can be problematic. You'll need to find replacements for the Windows apps you are used to.

Mounting an ISO is possible in linux.

OpenOffice has about 90% of the features of MS Office, but most users of MS Office only use 10% of the features it has. So the overlap there should be more than enough for the majority of users of the program.

And in my experience mounting an ISO in Linux with a relatively recent distribution (Fedora 9 or 10, Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10, Mandriva 2008) is really easy. Double-clicking the ISO file tends to automatically mount it and open the folder of where it was mounted to (or if there's a different default handler, this would be in its open-with menu).

-------------
Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Code:
perl -e '$|=$i=1;print" oo\n<|>\n_|_";x:sleep$|;print"\b",$i++%2?"/":"_";goto x;'

A lightweight Linux distro would be my choice,
Windows is slow on the Eee!

But the Guitar-CD, if it's an application will not
run under Linux. If it's some sort of video/movie-file
it will run fine.

There's several distroes that's been spesialy tweaked
for the Eee. Check the Eee-forum for tips:

HTH

I have installed Ubuntu linux on my EEE pc and it is running much better then XP. I am glad to sacrifice the guitar CD-Rom for the new OS!!

I'll just use my big 15 inch laptop for that, the big screen makes seeing the tutorials much easier any way!

Thank you for your inputs!

PS I installed Ubuntu EEE designed specifically for the EEEpc and it is running fab-u-lous-ly!

slightly off topic
I have been trying to learn guitar as well & find TuxGuitar to be a very useful piece of software ( available for bothlinux & win)
although the large screen of the laptop will be better
it is a bit cramped on my aspire one

Thanks!
I will look into that, I wound up using my Dell Mini running XP to mount ISO of my guitar cd-rom.

I could try TuxGuitar with ubuntu!

Thank again IPGuru

Which guitar CD-Rom's are you referring to? If you are referring to the ones that are included in "Guitar Player" magazine, then they are played with Quicktime in Windows. Just google "Quicktime for Linux" and you get a plethora of options that you can employ. Do need more info on what/which guitar CD-Rom's you are referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back