Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux VPN without using PPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamzx

Technical User
Feb 16, 2003
US
I've already read the thread on Linux VPN that uses PoPToP
(which uses PPP) and that didn't give me any useful information for my situation. I need to set up a VPN for high speed internet access (cable modems) for my server. All the documentation I've read on Linux VPNs (FreeS/WAN and otherwise) typically talk about having two different Linux gateways, one on each side of the Internet. In my situation I only have one Linux gateway (and only need one) and one Windows XP machine to connect. I will also want to give access to my partner from across the Internet on his Windows 2000 machine. I have no problem setting up the IPSec on the WinXP machine. My problem is correctly setting up the Linux server to be a VPN server. All the documentation either points to PPP or a situation using two Linux servers. I am looking for advice on how to go about properly configuring VPN Linux for my situation.

As I stated I have no problem setting up XP for tunneling. It's setting up FreeS/WAN that's the problem. All the configurations point to setting up a point to point between two FreeS/WAN servers. And the documentation is just too confusing to figure out on my own for setting up a single FreeS/WAN server. I firmly believe that I can get XP connected if I could only get Linux configured properly.

Hi,
as I remember (just readings, I haven't implemented this yet) your setup is about the Road Warriors situation. Quoting FreeSWANHowTo.html#road.intro:
* anyone with a dynamic IP address is a "Road Warrior".
* any machine doing IPsec processing is a "gateway". Think of the single-user road warrior machine as a gateway with a degenerate subnet (one machine, itself) behind it.

HTH
Ax

ArturXZone is correct. The Road Warrior scenero is what you want. The FreeS/wan home site has some good setup info or just Google a How To for FreeS/wan Road Warrior. It's not hard, just takes a bit of time but it does go a lot quicker if you read the documentation first and try to understand what is happening. If this seems too hard you may want to look into a Linksys Cabel/DSL Router with the VPN built in.

GGortt
Third Planet from the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back