Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux versions of M$ client apps ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

codestorm

Programmer
Apr 11, 2001
AU
Hey all, Linux dabbler here,

I'm slowly trying to insinuate Linux into our workplace, given our boss gripes at all the M$ licencing costs.

An all-out switch is simply not possible, nor is a server end start point for a switch likely.

So, given I'm main programmer at my company, thought I'd start the ball rolling my using it at the desktop. As long as it can allow me to perform all my normal duties, I don't think the boss will protest too vociferously.

Now, I've just tried Knoppix at work so far, as I don't think he'll appreciate Linux partitions initially. However, before I got too far I ran into these stumbling blocks:
*I need a client app to access M$SQL - like M$ Query Analyser.
*I need a client app to interact with M$ Terminal Services servers (and NO can't just switch to VNC or some such).
*I'd surely like something like smbclient which allows be to browse network shares ala Mapped Drives in M$ - i.e. GUI based. I *can* use smbclient, but it's relatively tedious.

Possibilities?

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
<insert witticism here>

If this is too advanced a question for this forum, any pionters on where I might post it?

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
<insert witticism here>

For terminal services, use either the tsclient or rdesktop client. You didn't say which version of Linux you are using, but both clients are included with Red Hat.

If you want to browse Windows shares in a GUI, try LinNeighborhood.

ChrisP
RHCE, LPIC-1, CCNA, CNE, MCSE, +10 others

codestorm,

I actually stopped using MS-SQL because of licensing costs. Instead I use Postgresql. Sorry if that doesn't help but at least you know what others might do in your situation.

Gary Haran

Can you give us any details on your licensing? I mean, if you start removing machines from Microsoft's licensing list in your company, how does Microsoft react?

I've heard terrible tales about site licensing mixed with per-machine licensing, giving me the impression that removing a few machines from Microsoft control doesn't change your licensing costs significantly.

fluid11: Thanks, rdesktop did the job nicely. Unfortunately I haven't gotten it to connect to our live boxes yet - have to figure why M$ ISA Server won't let us through. Seems a M$ SQL capable client app is the tricky one. I'm using Knoppix boot-from-CD as the test .. not sure what version exactly, as I didn't pay attention when it booted.

xutopia: Yeah, that would be nice, but it would also have to be a quick and painless cutover for my boss to be interested in the short term. We have too many projects on our plates as it is at the moment. The replacement database would need to be cheaper, just as scalable, support ACID transactions and stored procedures (or some variant of - and no I don't mean a total rewrite into some middleware).

Peahippo: Not sure on our licencing - our boss does it all himself. I know he is currently planning to upgrade to an Enterprise licence for M$SQL, which I think is around AUD$35000.

codestorm
Newbie Life Member.
<insert witticism here>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back