Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LInux USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcpipv6

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2007
AR
hi all,

i have a 120 ubs hdd, i installed a ubuntu on the usb but the problem is i install any paquet, and then i reboot it or shut it down, i loose the paquetes, any idea how to fix the issue?

Regards

I am not too sure what your problem is.

What is the mount point for your external USB drive?
Did you insert and entry in /etc/fstab?

If not, your drive will not be mounted automatically at reboot.

When you install "paquets" (or rather packages) they usually end up in /usr, /bin, /sbin, depending on the package, so I hope that none of the above is sitting on a removable drive; that would be quite an intrepid configuration.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Do you mean that you are copying files onto the external drive, but they are being lost when the machine is restarted?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

The way I understand it is that the OP install Ubuntu on a USB attached hdd and is running Ubuntu right off it. It seems as if this installation of Ubuntu is not persistant (Live OS?) and resets itself after ever reboot.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

That would make more sense :)

tcpipv6, how did you install ubuntu? Is it possible you're simply running a live imagine, rather than an install?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

All of this is very surreal.
Anybody else guessing what tcpipv6's problem is?

Tcpipv6, please rephrase your post.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Hi all,

I have installed a Ubuntu,and then i created a usb live cd,, but my problem is that every time i reboot the pc and restart with my live cd on my usb all the paquets i installed are not there, i even tryed to change the fstab, but no luck.

thanks

'live' installs are not designed to keep changes made, what you're probably after is a full USB install.

how can i make a full usb install??

another tutorial is at

Generally you can start and install just about any distro on USB flash by using UnetBootin. You can find it at

I have used unetbootin a lot without problems with different distros.

QatQat

QatQat

I used unetbootin with no results it makes the full install but when i boot with my notebook from the usb i will not work.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back